Decorating & Furniture/Painting lawn furniture

Question
My husband brought home a couple of lawn chairs
that braved Hurricane Andrew. Therefore, they
need alot of help. They are made of aluminum and
have a wire mesh seat. Are they paintable?
If so how would you go about it? Do you strip them? What type of paint do you use? etc.
Otherwise, what would you suggest to fix them up?
Thank you very much for your advice and help.

Answer
Jamie,

Thanks for writing and for your question.  The simple answer is that most anything, including aluminum can be painted.  Prior to painting, you should sand the paintable surface, then dust/clean it of any remaining debris.  Use a non-pourous primer like KILZ; available in spray or can.  Once the primer has completely dried, apply a rustoleum paint (for best results).  All these supplies are available at your local home improvement stores.  

Just make sure that if you use an oil-based primer - use an oil based finish paint; a water-based primer with a water-based finish paint.

Hope this helps you.  (I too survived that horrible storm.)

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik