Decorating & Furniture/Paiting living room

hi. i will be moving to a new apprtment soon. purchased Couchs in light grey color. all the wood i have (book case, large mirror with large frame, bar top are in balck wood). what would be the best color to paint the walls. the has too large windows and an open kitchen. i like to have 1 focal point : wall with different color behind the couch. thanks.

Hi Jihad

As you already have black and grey, I would go for a black, white, silver and grey colour scheme with the addition of one bright accent colour.  Obviously that colour would be your choice but I think orange, lime green, bright red or shocking pink would all be worth considering.

If it was me I would go with the red.  I would paint most of the walls white and have one area of wall that was red - either one whole wall or a chimney breast area or the alcoves either side of the chimney breast - obviously depending on your room.

Bring the whole room colour scheme together with various different pillows and cushions for your sofa in maybe three different fabrics all using the same basic colours you have chosen - something like a black and white check, a black and red stripe and a floral pattern using black, red and white.  Do you see what I mean? All different styles that will look really good together because they all use the same group of colours.  

This page will illustrate what I mean:

Black and white pictures on the walls would look great but you may like to consider adding a red panel behind the pictures so they don't disappear on the white wall:

Kind regards,

Decorating & Furniture

Andrea Elliston

I am happy to answer questions regarding decorating, use of colour, soft furnishings ideas etc. I love quick and easy ideas that help people like me - short of time, money and sewing skills! I own and run the website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit

I have been involved in the decoration and preparation of a number of vacation rental properties where making a property look a million dollars whilst only spending a few pounds is very important.

I have had a number of articles printed and have been prolific on various vacation home owner forums. A lot of my ideas are featured on my website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit

My whole career has been in the travel industry working everywhere from UK travel agencies and London Heathrow Airport to a 5 star European resort - La Manga Club. I have extensive experience with vacation rental property and own and run the website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit