Decorating & Furniture/Paper over paneling

Hello and thank you for this wonderful service.  What is the easiest way to paper over paneling?  Where do I start?  I know how to hang wallpaper, just not over paneling.  

Thanks, Beverly

Hi Beverly,

If you know how to wallpaper you need only add a couple of steps to the process to cover paneling.  First of all, clean the panels to make sure there is no grease or grime. If the paneling is dark and the wallpaper is light, you may want to prime the paneling with KILZ (non-pourous primer available at your local home improvement store)and allow that to dry overnight.  Once prepped, then size it with wallpaper sizing.  

That's it unless you want to fill in the grooves (a real pain) with joint compound and sand smooth, then prime, dry, size and paper.  

Good luck!

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology