Decorating & Furniture/Piano placement

Followup To
Question - Thanks for your quick reply.  But there's to much sun light coming in from the window (faces south-east), which would damage the piano over time.  Any other ideas.

Room Dimensions: Rectangular (14 by 19).  On the short wall there is a fireplace.  On the other short wall a picture window which covers its entire length with views to the street.  As you face the fireplace, on your right is the dinning room which is open (no walls) and on your left (in the corner along the long wall) is a doorway leading to a hall.  You enter from the long sided wall adjacent to the dinning room next to the picture window.  My question is how would you layout this room and also where would you position a 6' Grand Piano.  We like a cozy, relaxing atmosphere to have conversations and to play the piano.
Answer -
Hi Carlos,

Thanks for writing and for your question about piano placement.  

Since the piano is a grand, I would consider placing it in front of the picture window so that when you are playing it, you have a view of the outside.  While you may have to angle it to accomodate the doorway, this placement is best so that it doesn't "fight" with the fireplace (the natural focal point.)  

The only other spot you could put it would be to the left of the fireplace, but my fear is that the heat from the fireplace is more damaging than the sunlight.  Sunlight can be diffused and/or controlled by several means including do-it-yourself film (available at home improvement stores in several "qualities") shades, blinds, curtains, drapes etc.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology