Decorating & Furniture/Picture playment above bed

Question
Bedroom Wall
Bedroom Wall  
I was wondering what would be the best placement for a picture above my king sized bed....the picture is 33 X 37.  The headboard (which we still don't have)will be 49 inches at the highest point (on the arc) from the floor and our mattress is 30-31 inches from the floor.  There are 2 small windows  28 inch square on that wall also that are 57 1/2 inches from the floor and are spaced 66 inches apart (the space where the picture is hanging)  The picture is currently 54 inches from the floor which means it will be approx. 5 inches above the highest point of the headboard.   Visually the picture currently looks way too high to me.  Is the height acceptable?  I've read that pictures should be hung with the center of the picture at about 60 inches,(mine is currently 70 inches)but that is not possible in this situation because the frame would be too close to the headboard or even below the highest point.  Our ceiling height is 9 ft..  Should I add two sconces to each side of the picture to spread it out more horizontally.  Would that make it  appear lower or is it o.k for the pictures to be at that height?  I'm at a loss as to what to do.  Please help.   I'm currently very unhappy with the results.  I've attached a picture of what it currently looks like. Thanks, Carol

Answer
Hi Carol, In your photograph the picture looks fine to me. I like that its centered between the windows and I think once you get your headboard it wont feel as high. There aren't really any rules when hanging pictures because its more about balance than how many inches it should be off the ground. Do what feels right.

Decorating & Furniture

Rachel Mallon Allied Member ASID