Decorating & Furniture/Problem with extra deep matress

About a year ago we bought a new mattress, one of the extra thick kind, and to prevent it from being so high off of the ground we also bought a thinner box springs to go with it.  Since then I have been unable to find a dust ruffle that would fit because it is a 12 inch drop instead of the regular 14-15 inch drop.  I really wouldn't mind if I had a dust ruffle but with metal bed rails showing it looks awful.  We are now in the process of purchasing an upholstered headboard and I would love to find just wood bed rails instead of the metal.  To you have any suggestions to solve the problem of short dust ruffles or a way to impove the apperance of the bed?

Well, since you're purchasing the upholstered headboard, can you possibly have a dust ruffle made at that same time, from the same company?  Is that a possibility?

Or you can visit a local fabric company and purchase fabric that you can sew into a dustruffle that is the appropriate length.  Or perhaps there is a list of sewers at your local fabric supplier who are referred to customers of the store.

Finally, there are upholstery companies who will custom make a dust ruffle for you.  You can provide the fabric and they'll do the sewing based upon your measurements.

You have options, it just takes a few phone calls to find the best one.  Also, consider cost factors and timeliness of receiving the end product.  If you're in a hurry, the fabric supplier may be the best bet.

Good Luck to you!
Alicia Valair, CID, CKD, Allied Member ASID

Decorating & Furniture

Whole house interior space planning and decorating; kitchen layout, and design trends; residential themed environments; selecting furnishings and accessories for your lifestyle.

12 years experience as an interior designer, FIDER graduate and business owner for 5 years. Speciality area: residential interior designer, NKBA certified kitchen designer, and home office designer

Homes of Color magazine, Las Vegas Life magazine, Tucson Home and Garden magazine.

B.A. Interior Design, Marymount University, Arlington, VA