Decorating & Furniture/Question about painting an interior column

Question
Floorplan
Floorplan  
We have a column between our living room and foyer (the square to the left of the staircase shown on the attached floorplan).  The column is not rounded, it has four sides.  One side is within the area of the living room that is carpeted, and the other three face the foyer and hallway that have hardwood.  I'm planning on painting the living room walls red and painting the foyer and hallway walls khaki.  If I am truly defining the living room space with the red color, I was thinking about also painting just that side of the column facing the living room red as well and the other sides khaki.  But, is it ok to paint one or two sides of the column a different color than the other?  I just have personally never seen an example of someone doing that and I don't want it to look silly.  Also, its important to note that one side of the column is on the side of the 2 story foyer, so I would definitely need to keep that side the same color as the foyer(its the same wall).

Answer
I would keep it all one colour Sharon if I were you.

Trying to get a really neat and tidy finish on the corner of a pillar when joining one colour with another would be really hard and I fear it would end up a bit of a mess.

The decorating will be so much easier for you if it is all one colour.

Not sure if this is to your taste but one thought occurred to me if you really want to make the pillar feel part of the living room decor but part of the hallway too.  Supposing you have the pillar in a neutral colour you can decorate part of it (just a few feet from the bottom up) with the red and khaki you mention - possibly using a stencil.  Even something like one flower (red petals, khaki stem) would tie it all together.

Kind regards,

Andrea

Decorating & Furniture

Andrea Elliston