Decorating & Furniture/Re-cover or replace a couch / room divider

Question
Jenny,
I have a chance to get a very nice, quality living room couch for a very reasonable price (under $300).  However, the fabric pattern is not what we want and so we would want to have it recovered.  Would we be better off, cost-wise, to get this couch and get it recovered, or buy a new one with a special order fabric that we like?

Also, we are designing a new home.  We like a large, open feel with plenty of natural light.  Our front entry area opens to a "great room."  However, we want to create a "divider" of some kind to create some sense of separation from the front entry and the rest of the house.  I thought about a fireplace as a divider, but I'm afraid it would be too massive and block too much light.  Any suggestions?  Thank you.  

Answer
First of all the couch.  ONLY if you absolutely LOVE it and it is a high quality piece of furniture, buy it and recover it. Reupholstery is not cheap. You may be better off selecting your own piece of furniture in the fabric you want.

There are many ways to visually divide a space.  One is architectural with fireplaces, half-walls etc.  Another is done with furniture placement, area rugs and room dividers such as tri-fold panels, photo panels etc.    If you like open spaces, consider one of the non-architectural elements, OR consider using a fireplace that does not require a chimney or flu.  There are several models (gas and electric) of fireplaces that require no special venting.  

Jenny  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik