Decorating & Furniture/Red living room furniture

Question
I am getting ready to move into a new house and have sent my sofa and 2 lazy boy chairs to be re upholstered red.  Will this be too much in my living room.  It is a very open plan house with lots of sliding doors amd windows.  What is your suggestion so that it doesn't overwhelm the room.  What are the best colors to go with it.  My floors are a very light sand ceramic glossy tile.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.  P.s. I do have 2 large salt water aquariums that will be in the enterance of the house set on a mahogany base next to the living area.  Thank you again

Answer
Hi there!
You've dared to go red and it sounds exciting!  I recommend grounding the sofa and 2 chairs with a very large rug.  This rug should have a dominant color that contrast with the red, with only hints of red in it.  Perhaps the sand and any other color which anchors.  

Make sure the pattern and design of the rug corresponds to the style of the rest of the furnishings (ie. contemporary vs traditional.)

Next, I'd use decorative pillows to enhance the color scheme and add a bit of flare.  If there is a wall behind the sofa, why not paint it a contrasting color.  Not bold at all, maybe the sand color from the floor?

What you're trying to accomplish is continuity and cohesiveness.  You want to maximize the red drama without taking away from the calming colors that already exist.  Look for accessories and paintings that are vibrant and exciting as well, but still have that sandy dominant color.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Alicia Valair,CID, CKD, Allied Member ASID  

Decorating & Furniture

Alicia Valair, CID, CKD, Allied Member ASID