Decorating & Furniture/Redecorating

My wife and I live in a co-op townhouse, and would like to do some major redecorating in the next several months... preferably not all at once. Our kitchen needs new flooring, cabinets, and a refigerator. The living room needs new carpet and possibly a new sofa (or reupholstery on the old one). The bathrooms need a complete overhaul; the faucets all drip but the hardware is too obsolete to repair. And every room could use painting.

But I'm confused about the best order in which to do these things. I would guess that the painting should come first, in case of spills on the floor or furniture. But should the kitchen cabinets be replaced before or after the floor? Should the bathroom be painted before or after the sink is replaced? What should come first? What should come last?

If it makes any difference: When you come in the front door, the half-bath on your left, the kitchen is a few steps ahead on your right, and the living room is straight ahead. The full bath is upstairs, above the kitchen.

Any advice would be appreciated.

-- Bob

Thanks for writing and for your question.  Start from the ground up.  Floors first, then walls (you can put drop cloths on the floor) then cabinetry, then plumbing.  It's really like building a house from scratch.

You're in for some work, but it will be so worth it when everything is done.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology