Decorating & Furniture/Redecorating

Hi Jenny,
I am in the process of redecorating my condo, which is somewhat dark, and I am trying to lighten it up.  I am changing the kitchen cabinets to white (medium-dark wood now), and will put in a light marble flooring.  Also, will change the natural woodwork in the rest of the condo to white. I was going to keep the counter tops a light gray granite, but then I thought perhaps it would be too light and start to look almost sterile.  Now I am thinking more towards a dark gray granite.  I am talking a small, 8 x 8 1/2 foot kitchen.  Since it's so small, I can be a little extravagant with materials.  The walls now are an off white, but I am thinking with all the white I am adding by new cabinets and woodwork, I might need more color on the walls.  Any suggestions?  The kitchen has a walkway through to the dining and living area, so it is visible and I guess I need to coordinate colors throughout the downstairs.  The marble will be in the entire downstairs, the whitish color with gray streaks in it.  Thanks for your advice.  

You are completely correct in saying you need a darker color countertop, and that you need to add color to the walls.  Bigger in appearance is one thing, cold and sterile is another.  

Opt for a dark countertop to act as an anchor in the kitchen.  Then complement that color choice with a "greyed down" version of the color for paint.  Based on your description of your flooring, Toasty Grey from Glidden might be just the perfect color for your walls.  It's a taupe/grey and is a terrific neutral.  It allows light to reflect off it and visually expands the room.

Thanks for writing.  Good luck on your condo project.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology