Decorating & Furniture/Removing wallpaper

Hi Jenny,
I would like to remove the hideous wallpaper from a small 6'x5', no window, guest restroom.  I have never had any experience with wallpaper and would like to avoid repapering.  Can I get away without replastering?  If so, what types of wall treatments can I use?  Thanks for your help!

Start by visiting your local home improvement or hardware store and talk to a customer service rep in the wallpaper department.  Depending on the kind of wallpaper you have to remove, s/he will guide your purchases.  Inevitably you'll need a scorer, a scraper and perhaps a solvent to dissolve glue.  You may need a steamer as well.  See if you can peel any of the wallpaper off easily.  (They'll ask you that at the store!)

Using the proper materials you should not need to replaster/replace drywall.  You should be able to paint and never have to look at wallpaper again!

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology