Decorating & Furniture/Renters need to decorate around maroon carpet

Hi. I am renting an entire house.  The first floor opens into the living room which has a huge double window that looks out onto the street. Then there is a pocket door that leads into the living room. The problem is that both rooms have maroon carpet.  In the living room, there is also a huge working fireplace but the brick is hideous but the wood is beautiful.
We are renting so there is not a lot we can do with this carpet. How do we decorate around it? We want to start with wall color. What can we use with maroon carpet that combines 2 rooms that we want ot be separate and distinct spaces?

Thanks for writing and for your question.  The first thing I'd do is purchase two area rugs that will "cover" most of the carpet, allowing only the edges to remain "maroon".  

As for wall color, you can use a soft green, (red/green are color opposites so they work well together) or a shade of grey.  You could use a lighter shade of the maroon, but I don't think that would make you any happier!  

You may want to make one room a darker or lighter shade of the same color, or use two distinctly different colors.  

If you find a room-sized rug, you can also take a color cue from that.  If the color is in there, you can use it for the walls.  

Whatever you opt to do, remember that you have to consider the carpet as ONLY one color in your overall color scheme.  Black and silver accents go great with maroon as well as white.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology