Decorating & Furniture/Repainting furniture

Question
I am trying to repaint the furniture in my bedroom, and I was sanding the furniture before I did this. The furniture is a white color, but it is very slick/glossy...no matter how much I sand the paint doesn't seem to be coming off and the furniture still feels smooth. It is furniture I have had for over 10 years and I want to paint it black. Is there something I can buy to put on the paint so it will not be so smooth after I sand. I want the paint to have something to stick to and right now it is not going to stick.  

Answer
Jennifer:

The sand paper that you are using might not be course enough and be careful as well as you  do not want to place gauges in the wood either but you will always have a smooth surface and you have to use a primer so you can repaint the color after that.

Jean

Decorating & Furniture

Jean DeJesus