Decorating & Furniture/Reupholster

Hi, JoAnne!
I have a very well constructed L-shaped sleeper sofa (2-pieces: 76" and 91") that is about 18 years old.  It has a total of 6 removable cushions to sit on and 14 pillows for the back.  Is it possible to keep the sofa and have it reupholstered (without breaking the bank)?  How would I go about it/Who would I contact?  How much would something like this cost?  I live in the Washington, DC area.
Thanks for your assistance!!  Bonnie

Hi Bonnie, Typically I tell my clients that they can probably replace for about the same money it costs to reupholster.  To save money begin with finding a fabric mill-end store in your area to shop at.  You will probably need about 25-30 yards of fabric to do the sectional depending on the match. Upholstery fabric at regular retail can run from $30 a yard and up. By finding an reasonable fabric store, that can save you a great deal of fabric.

In our area, labor is generally around $35 a yard. So you have the price of fabric and the cost of labor. This does not include replacement of foam or replacing or fixing springs that might be needed. So in my area, an average sectional with retail fabric and our labor rates, your sectional would run around $1950.  Labor rates will vary greatly depending on where you live so get out the yellow pages and make some phone calls.  Happy Decorating, JoAnne Lenart-Weary  

Decorating & Furniture

JoAnne Lenart-Weary

I can answer anything that is decorating related. Wall and window treatments, color, furniture, placement, where to begin with a decorating plan, etc.

Almost 30 years as an interior decorator and 4 years of teaching professional workshops to other interior decorators/designers and interior redesigners. Board member for IRIS www.weredesign, founder of ODDAA (One Day Decorating Alumni Association) Weekly guest for ABC affiliate in Erie, Pa. Have also been on HGTV

Baby Talk Magazine
Many newspapers