Decorating & Furniture/Right Colors to Lighten up a Basemen Apartment

Hello there.
Well, I`m going to be moving back home soon to Illinois, and I`m pretty sure I want this two bedroom basement apartment.
(After living in one for almost a year, I`ve come to like the lifestyle) But I wasn`t very interested in decorating when I was last living in one, so it was just the typical, boring, dark, basement. I was wondering what I could do to brighten up the space, from wall colors, to furniture.
I`m not really sure what my particular style is though, so I`m pretty open to any good suggestions. :)

Hi Kristle,

Moving back home is a wonderful thing!  I am sure you are making many friends and family very happy by returning to the area!  

There are many things you can do to either make the apartment feel lighter and NOT so much like a basement, or you can capitalize on the fact that it is, in fact, a basement, and go for a more metropolitan type of feel.

For example, one trick I use alot in "family room" basements is to build out (using 2 x 4's) a 'window' and putting lighting inside the 'window', even a florescent fixture with true light light bulbs does a great job.  Then, you can either put glass or a frosted plastic on top of the frame for the 'window', then treat this as a window, replete with curtains, etc.  You can also put clear glass, etc, and use a mural for the inside of the glass, to create the feeling of depth or an outside view.  Do you get my drift?  I know these are very simplified directions... but you can probably find something more specific online.

Another option is to go for a very chic, modern feel, somewhat austere, with stainless steel, etc., a monochromatic color palette, etc.  Give the apartment a somewhat urban feel to it.

I hope this gives you some ideas to think about.  You also may want to contact a local interior decorator or designer for a consultation (may run up to $200 or so in your area) for some more specific ideas.  It is always a good idea to get a professional opinion before starting a project like this, so you reduce the chance of throwing good money after bad!

Best of luck to you!  Thank you for writing.

Julie Henry
Julie's Interior Designs
Hackettstown, NJ

Decorating & Furniture

Julie Henry

In the past 22 years, I have assisted countless residential (and some commercial) clients in the design and decorating of their homes. Within reason, I can assist on ANY question for the interior of your home. From design of a new home or addition, to layout, color, truly custom window treatments or just accessorizing... as our brochure says... from ceiling to floor, windows to walls and EVERYTHING in between... if it is for the Interior of your home, call Julie's Interior Designs. Well... you don't have to call, just write and ask!

With twenty two years of experience, 18 of them self employed with a large showroom/retail store and great staff on my team, there is little I/we haven't encountered. For several years I enjoyed being the on air "Home Editor" of the local cable station and have written a column in several local newspapers for years. Taught Interior Design at the college level. My work has been published in numerous magazines and newspapers. This is the greatest job on earth, and not nearly as easy at it looks...

William Paterson College, NJ, Ramapo College NJ, Continuing Education with trade periodicals, etc.

Multiple for custom window treatments, best local business in our county (located in northwestern NJ,) best home furnishing store in our county, etc.