Decorating & Furniture/Romantic style bedroom

I have always wanted to create a bedroom that had a burlesque/moulin rouge/seductive atmosphere. I know creating that ivolves a lot of drapery, silk pillows, low lighting, feathers, reds or pinks....
   I was wondering if you had any ideas regarding how I could create this sultry bedroom.

Hi Christina

You seem to already have a very good idea what this style of decor will entail and there is not a lot I can add to your list.

I would try to use some fabric on the walls if I were you and you might find that screwing a small wooden baton to the top and bottom of a wall or alcove and then stapling gathered fabric to it would be an option.  I would get a piece of fabric about three times the width of the wall you want to cover and then do a quick slip stitch along the top and bottom edge that you can pull in until the fabric is the right size for the wall - much as you would when pulling in a curtain tape.

The fabric can easily be attached to the baton with a staple gun.

Aside from that there are just a few things that spring to mind that I would add to your list:

Tasselled gold fringe edging
Chunky gold tasselled tie backs
Velvet - big, red velvet curtains would be great and give a theatre stage feel
Far more pillows on the bed than you would normally use including bolster and round shapes
Lamps rather than ceiling lights
Pink rather than clear light bulbs
Scented candles

Good luck with this - it sounds like a lot of fun.

Kind regards,

Decorating & Furniture

Andrea Elliston

I am happy to answer questions regarding decorating, use of colour, soft furnishings ideas etc. I love quick and easy ideas that help people like me - short of time, money and sewing skills! I own and run the website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit

I have been involved in the decoration and preparation of a number of vacation rental properties where making a property look a million dollars whilst only spending a few pounds is very important.

I have had a number of articles printed and have been prolific on various vacation home owner forums. A lot of my ideas are featured on my website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit

My whole career has been in the travel industry working everywhere from UK travel agencies and London Heathrow Airport to a 5 star European resort - La Manga Club. I have extensive experience with vacation rental property and own and run the website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit