Decorating & Furniture/Rubberwood furniture

I just purchased a bed made of solid Rubberwood..according to the salesman.  Could you give me information about that wood?  Are they strong? Reliable? Long lasting? Would you personally purchase furniture made of rubberwood? Thanks so much in advance!

Rubber wood is the common name for the tree Hevea brasiliensis. Rubber plantations have existed for hundreds of years in tropical countries. These plantations are mainly used for the production of latex. After the economic life of the rubber tree (generally 30 years), the latex yields become extremely low and the planters fell the rubber trees and plant new ones. Thus, unlike most other woods, rubber wood is used only after it completes its latex producing cycle and dies.

Rubber wood has a dense grain character and has very little shrinkage making it one of the more stable construction materials available for furniture manufacturing. (It is a member of the maple family which can give a hint of its durability.)

Rubber wood is a very good choice for furniture and I would personally not hesitate buying furniture from rubber wood.

Decorating & Furniture

Linn Arvidsson

Do you want to know how you can green your every day life without giving up style or quality? I can help you with your questions. I will answer any questions you might have on how to make your home healthier and more ecologically sound. It may range from how houseplants can clean indoor air to natural materials in furniture and fabrics; from window sill gardening to natural air fresheners. I do not claim to have all the answers right away, but I do know where to find them.

Experience in the area
University degree in environmental issues. Eight years of professional experience as an environmental coordinator and adviser.