Decorating & Furniture/SWAG VALANCE

Question
MY CONSERVATORY WINDOW IS WALL-TO-WALL, MEASURING JUST UNDER 12 FEET. WHAT SIZE OF SWAG VALANCE(s) DO YOU RECOMMEND I GET, PLEASE?

Answer
Nancy,

Window treatments are, in fact, my specialty.  HOWEVER... there is so little information to go on here... it is very hard for me to answer.  It would be very helpful if I knew more about the room... what else is in the room?  Are you using the room as an actual conservatory with instruments and chairs only?? (most true conservatories will have chairs only, no sofas or loveseats... think of the olden days when folks actually used conservatories to listen to a performance.)  Or is this a room used more as a sun room (very common usage?)  Are there wood floors?  What is the ceiling height?  What is the sun exposure?  South? west? etc.

If you are thinking about a swag or swags, are you thinking ready made? Hand draping it (them) yourself?  Are you thinking of board mounted?  

Just a little technical information to get you going... it is virtually impossible to make a single swag that is 144 inches (12 feet) in width, due to the drop, or how far the fabric in the center of the swag will fall into the window.  The wider the width, the greater the drop.  On the other hand... depending on the fabric, and if they are lined, etc, you may want to have three swags that are each 56" wide (you have to allow for overlap.) This would be a reasonable width.  Then again, there can be such a variation... some folks want a more Georgian look, board mounted swags, typically 24-30 inches in width plus overlap.  Some prefer 'open' swags (mounted on a pole or draped on swag holders) as opposed to 'closed' swags (Board mounted, etc.)

In event, I hope you find this information helpful.  I would strongly suggest you consider hiring a local interior designer/decorator who specializes in window treatments to get the best possible information.  A good professional will be able to offer you multiple choices... maybe something completely different from swags that you never even thought of!

Best of luck to you,
Julie Henry
Julie's Interior Designs
Hackettstown, NJ
908-684-3900
www.juliesinteriordesigns.com  

Decorating & Furniture

Julie Henry