Decorating & Furniture/Salmon Pink Tile Bathroom

Please help me.  We just bought our first place and the ONLY guest bath or any bath at all besides the one in the master suite is small (7 feet x 5 feet) and has salmon pink colored tile in the bathtub and around the border of the floor as the baseboard!  It gets worse.  The floor tile is a octagon shape muted white (looks gray) with flecks of brownish and blackish in it.  I don't want it to look all girly even though we only have a girl now as we may have boys in the future and it is the only guest bath.  I painted the walls a beautiful stark bright white as with all the contrast of colors and shapes already in the room, I thought that was the best thing to do.  But now, I am stumped.  I can't decide if I should put up a bold black and white shower curtain (toile or zebra) or a brown and white shower curtain (giraffe or toile).  Then, put a different print but same color as shower curtain on the floor as a mat and paint the shelves in the room the same color as the shower curtain.
What do you think?  Please help.  What would you do?
God bless,

Hi Susan

This is a classic case of having something in a room that you don't like but having no alternative other than to 'embrace' it and make it part of your plan.

Not many people would choose salmon pink as a bathroom colour nowadays but actually it is a nice colour and looks modern and quite funky when you see it used in a fabric like this:

I would buy a plain plastic shower curtain liner (dark brown if possible) and use this fabric to make the outer curtain.

Stripey fabrics look relly good in roman blinds or shades and they would always be my first choice for a bathroom anyway.

Not sure how good your sewing skills are but there is a link here to buy a book that gives you details of how to make roman blinds:

For the towels, bath mat, shelves etc. I would suggest a rich chocolate brown, or, if you think that is too dark for your bathroom pick a lighter colour out of the fabric - the duck egg blue for example.

Kind regards,

Decorating & Furniture

Andrea Elliston

I am happy to answer questions regarding decorating, use of colour, soft furnishings ideas etc. I love quick and easy ideas that help people like me - short of time, money and sewing skills! I own and run the website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit

I have been involved in the decoration and preparation of a number of vacation rental properties where making a property look a million dollars whilst only spending a few pounds is very important.

I have had a number of articles printed and have been prolific on various vacation home owner forums. A lot of my ideas are featured on my website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit

My whole career has been in the travel industry working everywhere from UK travel agencies and London Heathrow Airport to a 5 star European resort - La Manga Club. I have extensive experience with vacation rental property and own and run the website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit