Decorating & Furniture/Small room! Window/Bed canopy question

Question
Live in mobile home.My 15 yr. old daughter's room is small. Her twin bed must go under a window which is wider then her bed(a foot or so on each side).She wanted one of those mosquito net type canopys forever!With her bed under a window it may look silly (too much). The window was going to be just 2" wood blinds with some sorta valance, since we added nice new windows and trimmed them nicely. Now I feel it may need something covering them to look good with a bed under it, though they say the less window treatments the better in a small room. She also has no head board.Originally she wanted iron but when we realized it would have to be up against the window we thought blinds showing through would look bad. We may still do that if we use a window treatment, or we may make one to match her new bed spread. Think I could do something with her window to make it double as a canopy too? Maybe put a semi-circle type wooden valance. Are there rods like that. I just don't want her to sacrifice the simple things she longs for because of our spacing problems. Need help!! Thanks, Karen

Answer
Thanks for the questions.  My advice is to install the mosquito netting above the "head" of her bed.  Suspend it from the ceiling with a molly bolt, and put it as close to the window as possible.  This will in effect create a headboard "feel".  Draping the mosquito netting over each side of the head of the bed will create a cocoon type feeling and the wood blinds will give it some texture.  Coordinate the bedding with the color of the mosquito net.  Pier 1 has these in white/off-white.  

Jenny

PS  If you don't want to do the mosquito netting, then use a round wooden circle (available at Home Depot) cut it in half, cover it with batting and then upholster it with material of your choice.  Connect it over the top of the window with L brackets.  Then add long panels to drape over either side of the bed.  They can be attached with a staple gun.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik