Decorating & Furniture/Sofa color/style

Question
I have a large family room with a vaulted ceiling. We painted the ceiling cream and the walls we painted a cocoa color.  The window treatments are striped and paisley in blue/burgundy/gold.  I'm looking for a sectional couch and was trying to decide on color.  Someone recommended staying with a similiar wall color and accenting with other colors?  Your thoughts?  Also, note that the other furniture pieces in the room are mostly light pine antiques.  Also, I thought a heavy duty fabric like chenile would work well for the couch since we are a family of 5 with 3 young children.  Also, any rug suggestions would be appreciated since we don't have anything right now...just hardwood floors.  Appreciate any ideas you have!  Thank you.

Answer

Hi Maryann,

Thanks for writing and for your question.  I always recommend that my clients purchase high ticket items such as sofas and chairs in neutral fabric colors.  Having said that, I refer to neutrals as any color you choose, but in a solid or virtually (when you squint your eyes and look at it) solid fabrics, staying away from large prints, florals, plaids etc.  The reason is simple.  You can easily and inexpensively change the entire look of a piece of furniture that is neutral by simply adding throw pillows and accessories.  You can also incorporate those busier fabrics in draperies, pillows, rugs etc., that are more easily replaced from a cost standpoint.

Chenile sounds ideal for your situation.  And, adding a large area rug incorporating the colors in your room and your draperies will ensure success!

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik