Decorating & Furniture/Sofa color to go with walls/carpet

I'm looking to buy a new microfiber sectional, but am not sure what color to choose--dark or light colored. The small living room (condo) has light beige carpet and the walls have a pinkish cast. If the sofa is light colored, I don't want it to look awkward with the carpet and wall color.

I have a dark brown leather accent chair that is opposite the sofa location and dark brown paint on a fireplace accetn wall (to tone down the pinkish walls). I have a maple coffee table, but can replace that. My existing sofa is a pale khaki/green, but I think that makes the walls look pinker.  

Since you have a dark brown chair in the space, I would tend to recommend that your sofa be on the darker side as well.  It doesn't have to be chocolate brown - just a coordinating shade in a medium to dark intensity.  Then mix in your coordinating colors (greens, khakis, reds etc.) to the mix.  

And to tone down on the pink, add a couple of red throw pillows into the mix!  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology