Decorating & Furniture/Tall areas painting

We bought a just built new house and have not moved into it yet.  We want to paint the house with a better paint so we can clean the walls of fingerprints, etc.  Our problem is that the entry area has a very high ceiling and we don't know how to reach the high areas of the wall. (approximately 25' high). My husband suggested a small moulding to divide the wall and just paint the bottom area and leave the high area alone, since no one can reach it.  What do you think?  Do you have any other suggestions?  Please help.

I have a couple of suggestions.  If you are painting yourselves, go to your local home improvement store and purchase a paint roller extender arm.  These come in varying lengths.  With this attachment and a ladder, you can reach the high points of the wall.  The tricky part is the cut in, so you may want that ceiling and wall to be the same color to avoid that.

If you want to paint only the lower portion of the wall, you will have to use a molding or border to divide the areas.  Just know that when you do this, you'll be visually "chopping" the wall into two very distinct sections.  You may or may not be happy with that look.  

My last suggestion is to hire a professional painter to come in and do just that area, painting it in the color and style of your choice.  One area painted professionally should not be an expensive proposition, and the results will be rewarding for years to come.

PS:  If you want a more washable, scrubbable surface use a "high hide" satin finish.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology