Decorating & Furniture/Teenaged Girl's room

Hello. I have a bedroom for a teenaged girl with medium gray walls and a pewter gray queen sized bed. It has medium dark wood floors. Right now it seems dull and lifeless. How can I make this room more funky, colourful, and teen friendly? What colours should I bring in to this room? Thanks!  

Thank you for your question. I can picuture a very sophisticated teenagers room not a dreary, lifeless one.

For many, many years yellow has been a wonderful compliment to gray. With that I love to use white. We are still fairly neutral at this point so your daughter can still add her favorite accents.

If you look through catalogs you will notice that hot pink is still a teenage girls #1 choice. You can find lots of combinations with yellow and pink with accents of maybe of lime or periwinkle. You don't want too many colors and large amounts - just touches - for accent. Stick basically to the yellow, white, and one other color.

Pottery Barn Teen catalog has lots of wonderful ideas that  teenage girls seem to adore. I have noticed that Target stores carry some of the same looks for a little less money which can be a good idea for doing kid's rooms.

I hope this helps. I know you will enjoy working on your new project.

Angie Nelson

Decorating & Furniture

Angie Nelson

I can answer questions on designing and making your own floorcloth and which areas of your home/office/work space are and are not suitable. I have used a variety of materials over the years and will recommend what I have found to be the best suitable for a lasting piece.

Past/Present clients
My clients range from manufacturer showrooms, interior designers, catalog companies and individuals from coast to coast.