Decorating & Furniture/Tile top or espresso table?

Hi Benjamin,

My dining space is 10' x 11', and here is a pic of my entertainment center (in a single living space that is open from the dining space):

Would it be best to go with a pedestal dining table, or one with four legs like this:

And, isn't it a good idea to keep the square shapes of the entertainment center going throughout with a square/rectangular table, or is round okay?

Followup To

Question -
Hi Benjamin,

I want to thank you for your prompt and really great advice yesterday. Also, one more question; you said that with my cherry kitchen cabinets I should get a glass or tile top dining table with colored parson chairs, and the last choice would be a black wood table. I have been looking for a tile top table online and in local furniture stores and I'm coming up empty--very little out there, or I don't know where to look. Could you suggest a place, online or in the Sacramento area, to purchase tile top tables, perhaps within the under $1200 range? I'd rather not do glass.

Also, I'm wondering if it would be acceptable in the burgundy/cherry kitchen nook to use an espresso wood table instead of black, since I have chocolate and a lot of earth tones in my living area which it opens into. Thanks so much!

Answer -
Hi Kathy,

A few sites and furniture lines off the top of my that may be worth looking:

Centry Furniture
Ashley Furniture
Stienhaufels Furniture
Sean Conway Furniture

Good Luck!

The expresso wood table would be ok, but put a rug under to break up the wood. I still think you will be happier with a non-wood table and it will not be so dark and woods will not blend as much.

Hi Kathy,

I love the entertainment center! I would go with a round table for you dining room to break up that squareness of the space. Depending on how many chairs you need around the dining table, do a pedistal table if you need a lot and a leg table if you only need about 4.

Good luck. Looks like you are well on your way to a great looking room!

Decorating & Furniture

Benjamin Cottrell

I can answer any questions on interior design including color, room arrangment, floor and space planning, lighting, fabric, furniture, and where to buy home decorating products.

Residential design and Architecture as well as landscape design, visual merchandising, and sales.

College graduate