Decorating & Furniture/Toning down terracotta tile

HI- purchase 30 year old house.Lots of terracotta tile in good condition. HOwever, the house has a yellow/orangy tint running thru it, due to the yellowing varnish on all woodwork, including kitchen cabinets, baseboards, doors, etc.  Would like to tone down the yellow/orangy feel. thought about painting all wood hi-gloss white to try and neutralize the orange of the terracotta.  Kitchen counters have been updated with a granite corian in grays.  the yellow kitchen cabinets clash with the gray top. thought about painting all cabinetry in the kitchen hi-gloss white also.  Husband thinks you should never paint good wood.  I think it dates house.  Ideas/thoughts?  thanks, lisa

Nothing will date the house quicker than yellowing varnish!  I agree with your husband on the one hand, but in this case, this "good wood" is slathered with yellowing varnish that needs to go!

Bright white is a great start for an update.  Adding new hardware (pulls/knobs etc.) will also help to update things.  Consider using chrome.

The flooring can be enhanced with some area rugs - particularly in the kitchen area.  You may want to add some blue or green (a cool tone) in your accessories to reduce some of the yellow.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology