Decorating & Furniture/Trim/ Door Color Combinations

My wife and I are renovating our home.  We are putting in white trim throughout the house.  We have also purchased new pine doors which are not painted or stained.  I am not too excited about painting these doors white; I would like to take advantage of the real wood .  We are concerned the white trim will not look good with stained doors though.  Also, we are putting in all polished nickel hardware.  We have wood flooring throughout the main level and carpeting on our second floor.  Can we stain the doors or is the best look to have the doors white?  

Hi.  Thanks for writing and for your question.  Typically, doors and trims are the same, BUT, they don't have to be.  In many Traditional Style homes, you see a mix of wood stain and white.  Since you have wood flooring, if you do opt to stain the wood doors, stain them to match the flooring.

This is really a matter of personal choice, and there is no wrong or right way to do it.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology