Decorating & Furniture/Type of wood flooring in new house

We are having a new house built and it's selection time.  I'm having a hard time deciding on the wood flooring.  When I was touring a home I noticed they had installed Brazilian Cherry (which is a very deep red) and I just loved the richness of the wood and color.  The builder reccomended that I not use this wood in every room (I have a pretty open floor plan) as he was concerned it would be too dark.  He reccomeded using red oak and having the brazilian cherry in 1 room which has french doors and provides a flooring break.

I'm torn about what to do.  Our cabinets in the kitchen are cherry as well and are generally a light color, not as deep a red as the brazilian cherry.  We plan on introducing some of the more popular colors to our walls in the green/beige/bronze palette.

Ultimately, we are trying to achieve a look of warmth, richness and a hint of contemporary (no country under any circumstances!).  

There will be no carpeting in the downstairs, other than area rugs.  One last little issue.  Our in the foyer stairs will be red oak but could be stained I guess!

What would you reccomend, red oak or the brazilian cherry as the primary wood flooring?

Thanks for writing and for your question. It sounds as though your personal preference is the Brazilian cherry, and I agree with you.  I would not stop and start wood tones, but would carry the same throughout.  With the colors you have selected for the walls, the cherry floor will add richness and warmth and will "not" be too dark.  Your builder may be thinking that the cherry against all white walls would create too much contrast, and I agree with that thinking.  

Go for the cherry.  You'll be happy that you were consistent.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology