Decorating & Furniture/WALL COLOR

Question
-------------------------
Followup To
Question -
I AM READY TO PAINT MY LIVING ROOM AND I DO NOT KNOW WHAT COLOR WOULD LOOK BEST...I HAVE A BLACK LEATHER SECTIONAL AND A BLACK LEATHER RECLINER..I ALOS HAVE A BLACK WIDE SCREEN TV..MY COFFEE TABLE IS GLASS WITH A RUST COLOR METAL FRAME AND OFF WHITE COLUMS THAT THE GLASS SITS ON...I HAVE A FEW PICTURES HANGING AND A BIG ANTIQUE LOOKING MIRROR...I ALSO HAVE WHITE VERTICAL BLINDS ON THE WINDOW WHICH I COULD TAKE DOWN IF I KNEW WHAT TO BUY....DO YOU HAVE ANY ADVICE FOR ME? THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME.
Answer -
Hi Robin, Can you tell me more?  What is the flooring?  How much natural light is in the room?  What color is your woodwork?  Is your furniture styling traditional or more contemporary?  Tell me more so I can give you better advice.  JoAnne Lenart-Weary www.onedaydecorating.com    the furniture i guess would be contemporary...and there in a big window in the room that lets the light in...the in no woodwork..it is all white...the carpet in a light tan color....i hope this helps you.

Answer
You have a few possiblities.  If you want to do something dramatic you could paint the walls more of the rust color like your television stand which would give your room more balance.  With the large dark sofa and tv, the room looks heavy.  Adding some dramatic color on the walls would be a great look. If you do not care for the rust color then spray paint the tv base and use another dark color like cinnamon or deep taupe. Because of the large window and light carpet the room would not feel too dark. I would suggest changing the white verticals to a warmer color like an warm off-white which would complement the paint color.  

Now if that frightens you, you can go with a lighter color palette like a softer taupe color.  The walls need some color to balance the furniture.  If you paint the walls light, then add some visual weight by adding a 5 x 8 area rug in front of the sofa and add some fabric panels on the end of the verticals to balance the color more.  

Happy Decorating, JoAnne Lenart-Weary
"The Queen of Decorating"
www.onedaydecorating.com  

Decorating & Furniture

JoAnne Lenart-Weary