Decorating & Furniture/Wall Color

Question
I am planning on painting the interior of my home and I really love bold dark colors on my walls.  I would like to go with a brown in the living room, but it's the biggest room in a really small house so I don't want it to look like a cave. I really don't know why I'm stuck on brown, especially when I want to do my kitchen in a french country sort of palette and the bedrooms will be blue. Any color suggestions?

Answer
Thanks for writing and for your question about color combinations.  I have a color recommendation for you to take a look at.  These are Glidden paint colors, available at Home Depot stores nationwide.  

Living Room:  Dessert Sand (00YY 52/119)
Bedrooms:  Virtuoso (30BB 47/179)
Kitchen:   Gold Thread (40YY 68/299)

These three colors all accomplish what you mention and coordinate beautifully together.  They all have the same hue value, meaning the "intensity" of color is the same making them a perfect match.  As you move room to room with different color, you want the hue value to be the same.  

Take a look.  The "brown" is light enough to diffuse the cave phenonenom (especially with crisp white trim), the blue is a modern shade, yet very French inspired and the yellow is a buttery golden shade.  

Happy painting.
Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik