Decorating & Furniture/Wall Color

Hi Jenny,
My wife and I just painted a small accent wall in our living room black walnut, which actually turned out to look a little bit like purplish chocolate... we were going to paint the main walls "pickling spice" (a light muted green), but now I'm having second thoughts, as it might clash with the accent color. We have white trim, Ikea green stained furniture, and a dark blue couch to boot. Any ideas on complementary colors for this smorgesbord we have going on?

What may have happened with the accent wall is that you needed to add more coats of paint.  I've been known to have to paint black walls at least 6 coats to achieve the right color.  Otherwise, the muted green will be fine with the "purplish chocolate" (well explained!) and I'd keep the trim white.  The dark blue couch may not show well against the accent wall, but will "pull" that color when placed on a green wall.  

If you want to add an additional color - you're working in the cooler color palette (greens, blues).  You may want to shake things up a bit with a daring red (cranberry or cherry red) or bright yellow.

:>) Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology