Decorating & Furniture/Wall color with stained woodwork

We live in a 125 year old home with original stained woodwork.  It
is fairly dark and there is lots of it!  I struggle with wall color when
painting the rooms.  Right now everything is a shade of beige/
cream and is really boring. What kinds of colors can I use that
would punch things up a bit?  It is an old farm house and what little
decorating style that I have would fit into that definition...nothing
modern or contemporary.  Thanks!

What you're looking for Julie, is a wall color that will not "contrast" so much with the dark moldings and woodwork in your home.  My best suggestion on color choice is to select a color (or colors) that you like and use those in your home.  Beige/cream/white all create too much contrast.  If you want something subtle but less boring, choose a medium shade of taupe (like Glidden's Toasty Grey) or a mellow shade of gold.  

Yellows, peaches and greens will work for you, but you'll need a medium to dark shade of them to avoid too much contrast with the woodwork.  If you prefer blues, purples and the like, again choose a medium shade.

Hope this spurs your creativity.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology