Decorating & Furniture/Wall decor ideas

Hi Jenny , hope you can help with a decorating question. I have a freestanding bar (autumn cherry finish with black stone top) in an open living area and I'm looking for something to hang behind the bar (area is 55" wide and 30" wide). Currently, there is a framed picture there, but I'm looking for something different.  I thought about hanging tapestry so I ended up buying one, but returned it because the it seemed to be the focal point of the room. The rest of the room is in traditional decor with red and brown colors, the wall is a lighter yellow. I found metal art ideas on the internet, but nothing that really interested me, do you have any ideas? Any help would be appreciated.....Thanks!

Because of sheer size, whatever you hang there will become a focal point, but remember that it's ok to have more than one focal point in a room.  It's great to have the "attention" flow from one spot to another.  

The tapestry fits in with the overall feel of "traditional" as would a mirror or framed art.  I would consider painting that wall (behind the bar area) a rich dark color to visually separate it from the rest of the room.  From that point, either select a single framed picture or a collage of photos of your favorite things.  

Metal art is great in more contemporary spaces, but probably not the best idea for your find something that absolutely makes your heart sing.  If that happens buy it and go for it.  

Lastly, if you use the bar area as a bar, consider glass shelves with a few cherished glasses or collectibles that relate to the rest of the room.

Hope this gets your creative juices flowing.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology