Decorating & Furniture/Window Coverings

Thanks for answering my question. I have a window in my kitchen that measures 82"-W X 73-H that overlooks an incredible view of the mountains. The only problem is that during the hours of 7 am to 1 pm there is quiet a glare.  My kitchen is open to our great room which the family spends the majority of our time in.  What would you suggest that I place here to block the morning sun yet leave us the view when we would like to see it and is economical?  Thanks!

Window blinds are always good, and you can open and close them easily, and the vinyl blinds aren't very expensive. A cafe curtain is a cute option. You could use any type of fabric, and maybe a spring rod, they only cover the bottom half of the window, and you could put a valance above them. Lace is cute for cafes, but I don't know if it will work with your decor. There are also the duette shades, but they are more expensive. Fabric stores have lace panels, that you buy cut off, make a rod pocket and you've got a drapery. Good luck.  

Decorating & Furniture

Karen Timpone-Hockley

I am a kitchen expert on, Bob and I answer questions on kitchen design, cabinet construction, countertops and their applications, wallpapering and paint questions. I am proficient in kitchen design, wallpapering, painting, and general decorating. You can find me on by going to advice and resources, message boards, and experts. I answer questions on the message boards and you can view my answers there.

I was a decorator and then became a kitchen designer. I was instrumental in opening 3 Lowe's kitchen departments, in St. Louis, Ohio, and Pa. and designed kitchens for Home Depot. In 2003, I gave a tool-time for women seminar, seminar at the Pa. Home Builder's Show on designing kitchens, and tv spots on home repair. I am now designing and opening a Kitchen Showroom for Kohl Building Products in Mechanicsburg, Pa. R>
Publications article on painting kitchen cabinets