Decorating & Furniture/Window Toppers

How do I choose window toppers for my dining room? I have an open floor plan and never gave any thought to the kitchen when I wallpapered (gold/white/green /burgandy) and hung burgandy
window toppers. My sun room is off from my living room with cream tone on tone sofa and black, green peach florial window treatments.My great room has a  leather taupe sofa and loveseat with black tables trimed in gold. My dining room has black furniture trimed in gold. My walls are white and cream carpet. This is a mess, can you help?

Since you are dealing with an open floor plan, I'd suggest you pick one color (you can always use different shades of the same color) and use it throughout the open space.  

It seems to me that your common denominator here is black (which I would not recommend for window treatments) and gold.  The only "neutral" you have going is the taupe/cream tones.  My best suggestion is to use either the gold or the taupe in treating all the windows in the contiguous areas.  

I have to suggest that you paint your walls.  The white walls against all that black causes much too much contrast.  

If you don't want a lot of color on your walls, at least use a warm taupe.  I have recommended and used Glidden's Toasty Grey successfully, particularly when trying to unify a space.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology