Decorating & Furniture/Window Treatment Suggestion

We live in an older home in Kansas..built in the 30's, but it has windows dated pre-1910 brought in from an old farmhouse!  The woodwork around the windows is a beautiful cherry-stained hardwood (not pine...I'm not sure exactly what type of wood it is)..just gorgeous. I want to do some type of window treatment in the living room that doesn't hide it's beauty. Right now I have tabtops that hang down and cover most of the wood. Our style is rustic/cabin with rich burgundy, navy, forest green and a splash of burlap/taupe color.  4 windows are in the room...2 are side-by-side creating a double-window look. On that one, I have long tab-tops on the sides with a valance in the middle.  

Do you have any suggestion as to what I could do to accent the woodwork more?  The room isn't that I'd like something not too heavy.  Is it appropriate to just use valances?

Thanks for you help and if you need any more information, please ask!  I really appreciate you taking the time to give me some advice!

Thanks again,
Karen Baliel  

Hi Karen,

I would probably consider doing an "inside mount" for hardware (fits within the window casing, not outside it) and would use something simple like hooks on either side.  To that, I'd simply drape some fabric that incorporates your color scheme.  This will allow the window surround to show, give some softness to the area and give you some unique window treatments.

JC Penneys, Target etc. carry Kirsch rods and accessories.  Kirsch makes a scarf holder that has a harp shape.  These would work well on either side of the window as long as you have enough sturdy wood to screw it into.

The only other suggestion for an inside mount would be the tension rods that adjust to fit various openings.  

If you want to get away from curtains/draperies all together, consider using blinds or shades.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology