Decorating & Furniture/Window Treatments

Question
Hello Jenny,
 I've been pondering and searching for an answer/suggestions to my dilemma. I need to "dress" five rooms of windows.  I'm 95% committed to sheers--I love the look and so many colors available.  My problem is that I love privacy (neighbors are quite close AND NOSEY!)--something that most sheers don't allow.  I don't want to use the traditional shades/blinds.  All I can come up with is a double rod with a "privacy panel" against the glass.  A shir-on seems to be too much work opening and closing--I'd like something to draw in one motion.  Those clip-on rings could be the answer, but I don't really want to see them through the sheers.  In addition, I don't know what to use in the way of fabric.  I do sew, so to buy "by the yard" to fashion my own panels wouldn't be a problem. Also, perhaps buying yardage would be less expensive.
 Oh Jenny. . . what to do?  Would you have any suggestions for me, websites to browse for pics. . . anything?
Thanks for being at Allexperts to help, Annie

Answer
Thanks for writing and for your question.  It sounds as though your privacy is a bigger issue than anything.  Let me first say that I'm one of those decorators that think sheers aren't curtains.  By that, I mean the window looks half-dressed to me with only sheers.  I prefer combinations of draperies or scarves that outline and define sheers.  I also think blinds and shades have come a long way and are the most economical way to block a view.  Since you don't care for them, you may want to consider window "clings" that are made for privacy and light control.  They're available at home improvement stores.  Home Depot also carries a brand called Artscapes.  These create looks from blue sky to stained glass and are easy to install, easy to remove and very durable.  I have one in my own guest bath for that added privacy I think my guests want.

Check the clings out.  If that doesn't suit you, consider drapes that can be opened or closed at your convenience and use these in tandem with your sheers.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik