Decorating & Furniture/Window treatments

I am looking at putting up new window treatments..probably drapes and sheers ( I currently have vertical blinds but am tired of them). I have a back-split house and so my very large l/r window (120 inches x 84 in.)faces the street as does my dining room window which is only 78 inches by 55 inches..roughly. They are on the same wall facing the street with a small area separating them..(about 48 inches in between)...this  will hold a small fireplace along this wall..anyway, how do I balance these two windows with drapes when one is obviously so much larger..for the l/r, I was thinking of the traditional sheers with tie back curtains but with the d/r window so much smaller, I cant/dont want to do the same thing. Also, if I just put sheers on the d/r window..roughly half the length of the l/r one, would the sheers go to the floor or just to the window sill? My new couch is olive green and will be directly in front of the curtains so Im thinking of olive green drapes too but not sure of a sheer color. any suggestions?

Hi!  Thanks for your questions.  Absolutely tie the two windows together by using the same "fabric".  Use a scarf on the smaller window, lined with sheer fabric and more traditional draperies on the larger window lined with sheers.  This will give a coordinated look without the same appearance.  Sheers should always be the same length as the draperies - and in your case take the sheers all the way to the floor for both windows.  Your scarf can be longer on one side than the other, or hung with an equal drop on either side.  

Keep your sheers white or off-white.  It's a classier look UNLESS the sheers are dyed to match the drape or manufactured to go with the drape.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology