Decorating & Furniture/Window unit.

Question
A medium size air conditioning unit sits in the only window of my attic room.  We have converted the attic into a small apartment with an A frame roof.   How do I decorate the window? It is useless as a window, since I can not open it, so how do I hide the unit when not in use?  

Answer
Thanks for the question.  I'd recommend two things.  First, get shutters for the window.  If the window is a decent size, get two sets - one for the bottom (where the AC unit sits) and one set for the top of the window.  That will allow you to leave the top set open for light, closing off the bottom from sight.  The other suggestion I have is to "fool the eye" making the space feel bigger by "creating" a fake window on the opposite wall.  You do this by adding the same shutters in the same configuration on the other wall.  Make it all exactly the same dimensions as the real window, leaving the shutters closed.  If you want, you could install some mirrored tiles on the top half of the "fake" window and leave those shutters open when you have the real window shutters open.  The mirror will reflect the natural light, and your space will feel larger.  

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik