Decorating & Furniture/Wood color for "wrought iron" base table

Question
I repainted a metal table base in matte black and am very happy with the results - it now looks like wrought iron.  I need advice regarding the color to paint the table top.
It is wooden with 2 large glass openings (pretty much looks like two squares of glass are framed in a double frame).
The table is used as a breakfast area table, breakfast area being an extension of my kitchen with tiled floor.  The tile has nice uneven texture and coloring similar to whitewashed wood (the kind that is pinkish, not pure white).  I happen to like whitewashed finish very much - is it a good idea to white wash the table top and then finish it in clear coat so that spills don't hurt the wood?  How do I achieve that pinkish shade in my whitewashing?
My kitchen cabinets are white and some of the appliances are black/stainless steel, so my other idea was to just paint the wood the same color that the base is or even use contrasting color (white).  Would you suggest satin finish instead of matte in this case to make the table more fit for daily use?  Will spray painting help achieve even finish?  And do I have to strip the laquer off the wood before spray painting?
I appreciate your advice.

Answer
Dear Masha,
Based on the follow-up info you sent me: yes, white would be too much for your table top.  I think black would be a better choice.  You could use a woodwashing technique.  Choose a black latex flat paint-1 pint- (you choose the shade)and add 5 or 6 ounces of water.  Apply the mixture to the wood painting the table with the grain.  After the table has dried for fiteen minutes use a lint-free cloth to wipe the table to reveal even more of the grain.  In order to protect the table top use 2 or 3 coats of varnish (matte finish is preferable).
First you do need to strip the lacqer off the surface.  Go back over the wood with a heat gun on low to try and soften the lacquer. The final phase is scrubbing the lacquer off with a wool scrubbie and denatured alcohol. This is the really tedious part. It gets the wood to a mostly clean state. Before you sand the wood you will need to do another round with a finer scrubbie and alcohol.  Then the wood should be ready for the woodwashing technique.

Good luck with your decorating,
Cindy

Decorating & Furniture

Cindy Pagiatakis