Decorating & Furniture/accent wall

Question
I want to incorporate red in my kitchen and thought about painting a deep red accent wall.  I have an eat in kitchen with a large window and thought I would paint that wall red.  The walls in the eating area have a chair rail.  My delima is if to paint an accent wall what color to paint the other walls if I do.  My cabinets are golden oak.  For now the floor is linoleum that looks like bricks (red, brown, beige coloring). I will be changing them, but not anytime soon.  I like tuscan style, but am open to suggestions.  

What is you opinion on accent walls?  What color/style advice can you supply?

Thanks for your help.

Answer
Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for writing and for your question.  Let me start at the end and work back.  I love accent walls when used to "do" just that - accent a wall/create a focal point.  The fact that there's a chair rail isn't a problem to me either.  With a vivid color like red, you are smart to use it as an accent and supply a more subtle color to the adjacent walls.  Since you have golden oak cabinets, you might consider either a "golden" shade of yellow (for a monochromatic look) or a neutral like taupe or "khaki".  If you like the tuscan style, you may want to consider using the golden yellow.  

When you do replace your floors, consider a golden oak wood or wood laminate for a very stylish overall look.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik