Decorating & Furniture/aligning medicine cabinets with windows

I am remodeling / gutting my bathroom.  The 36" high x 21 deep vanity is wall to wall (6.5 ft wall) with 2 3'H x 1 1/2' W windows at each end.  The single sink is centered. I want to put a 30" x 30" recessed mirrored medicine cabinet above the sink, and another recessed med cab, 24" H x 15" W on the wall perpendicular to the 6.5 ft wall - centered horizontally above the 21" width. My question is, how do I align the tops or bottoms of the 2 cabinets to the windows and to each other?  Both med cabs aligned with top of windows, or center each one vertically in relation to the windows, or the 2 med cabs to each other on top and put a shelf below the short cab, or something else all together.  I need the storage space, hence 2 cabinets.

Dear Judi,

Thank you for writing... Now... here is my first question:  how tall are you?  This is VERY important in terms of my answering this question to the best of my ability... if you are taller... align with the top of the windows or even above.  If you are a little shorter, then, go towards the bottom of the window/cabinet.... your eye line is the greater question here.  I agree with you that inserting the two cabinets are a great storage solution... you just want to be sure it is comfortable to YOUR eyeline... and THAT is your guideline!!

Thank you for writing.  Best of luck to you.

Julie Henry
Julie's Interior Designs
Hackettstown, NJ

Decorating & Furniture

Julie Henry

In the past 22 years, I have assisted countless residential (and some commercial) clients in the design and decorating of their homes. Within reason, I can assist on ANY question for the interior of your home. From design of a new home or addition, to layout, color, truly custom window treatments or just accessorizing... as our brochure says... from ceiling to floor, windows to walls and EVERYTHING in between... if it is for the Interior of your home, call Julie's Interior Designs. Well... you don't have to call, just write and ask!

With twenty two years of experience, 18 of them self employed with a large showroom/retail store and great staff on my team, there is little I/we haven't encountered. For several years I enjoyed being the on air "Home Editor" of the local cable station and have written a column in several local newspapers for years. Taught Interior Design at the college level. My work has been published in numerous magazines and newspapers. This is the greatest job on earth, and not nearly as easy at it looks...

William Paterson College, NJ, Ramapo College NJ, Continuing Education with trade periodicals, etc.

Multiple for custom window treatments, best local business in our county (located in northwestern NJ,) best home furnishing store in our county, etc.