Decorating & Furniture/area rugs & stair treads

Question
Hi Jenny.  I just refinished my hardwood floors and I am now in search of area rugs. I'm having a problem trying to find an area rug that comes with a matching stair runner or stair treads.  If I find a rug that I love, but there's no matching runner, what can I do with the steps?  Are the living room rug and the stair runners suppose to match?  And what about the hallway?  Do I need to match that area rug with the living room and stair runner?  

Answer
Hi Mary Ann,

Thanks for writing and for your question.  Actually, nothing has to match.  When you find rugs that you love, buy them.  Then purchase "coordinating" rugs.  Stair runners should blend in with area rugs, but they certainly do not need to match.  

The number 2 problem most have with decorating is trying to match everything - making it all the same, when coordinating colors and textures adds so much more interest.  As long as the colors blend, you're golden.  

(By the way, the number 2 problem in my book is white walls.)

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik