Decorating & Furniture/area rugs & stair treads

Hi Jenny.  I just refinished my hardwood floors and I am now in search of area rugs. I'm having a problem trying to find an area rug that comes with a matching stair runner or stair treads.  If I find a rug that I love, but there's no matching runner, what can I do with the steps?  Are the living room rug and the stair runners suppose to match?  And what about the hallway?  Do I need to match that area rug with the living room and stair runner?  

Hi Mary Ann,

Thanks for writing and for your question.  Actually, nothing has to match.  When you find rugs that you love, buy them.  Then purchase "coordinating" rugs.  Stair runners should blend in with area rugs, but they certainly do not need to match.  

The number 2 problem most have with decorating is trying to match everything - making it all the same, when coordinating colors and textures adds so much more interest.  As long as the colors blend, you're golden.  

(By the way, the number 2 problem in my book is white walls.)

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology