Decorating & Furniture/basement wall color

Hi Jenny,
We are currently finishing our walkout basement and can not decide what color to paint the walls, or what type of carpet to lay.  We plan on moving in the next 2 years so we need to choose a color & style that will stay popular for the next couple years. We have an old brown sectional couch that will be staying and plan on having white trim to match the upstairs.  We have a French door that will be leading into the home office that is also white.   What colors would you suggest that would  make the basement feel comfortable and inviting?  This room will be use for TV viewing and card playing mostly.  Also what type of carpet would be better Berber or regular cut pile. (I have a small dog) My upstairs is yellow and I was hoping to have a different color in the basement.  My husband,if he had his way would just paint all the walls white- but I would like a color that would make the white trim and French doors stand out.  Any suggestions?  

Stick with the berber (for resale) and consider using a shade of taupe called "Toasty Grey" by Glidden.  It's a great neutral, much warmer than all white, and goes well with browns, blacks, white and is a crowd pleaser (again for resale). Coordinate the carpet color with the walls for the most impact and the best return on your investment.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology