Decorating & Furniture/bay windows

I am having a house built, and the home has two bay windows: one in the bedroom ahd one in the den.  The one in the bedroom has a regular ceiling and the den will have a coned ceiling.  I am having a heck  of a time looking for design ideas.  I have looked at model homes, but they only have a small swatch on a rod on each window: cute, but not practical.  What I want is something warm and cozy, and certainly hides me from other neighbors snooping, and blocks glare from the sun. All I seem to get on the internet is advertising, but no real ideas ono how to decorate a bay window in the style I like...Any ideas?

The simplest answer is to have custom blinds (or shades if you prefer) made for the bay in the bedroom.  This eliminates the privacy issue and allows you to control both the amount of light and privacy at any given time.  As for window treatments (drapes) your options depend on how the bay is constructed.  If the bay contains several "windows" that form one large bay, you can add rods to one, two or more of the windows and use traditional draperies or curtains hemed to hang to the floor.  If you have one single bay, you may want to consider draping either side and using a valance treatment for the curved part of the bay.  This can be done by a single rod, a rod suspended from the top (top of the bay) or, you could completely drapae the bay, opening the curtains/drapes in the middle.  

You have choices to make, but I hope this helps you.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology