Decorating & Furniture/bedroom redesign

I am a 20 year old, female and I currently live in my parents' house. My bedroom is kind of small and it's in the basement so I only have one tiny window towards the top of my wall. We just moved to this house so I have bare walls (white) and an ugly beige-ish carpet that my parents don't want to replace. Should I get a carpet the size of my room to cover the current one or just ignore the ugliness?  =D

I want my bedroom to look chic but somewhat playful. If you have ever seen the inside of urban outfitters, that kind of style is very "me". I was originally thinking I would paint my walls burnt orange because I have really fallen in love with that color but after checking out a lot of pictures of orange rooms of the net, it's seems like a burnt orange will make my room look small and a little gloomy. So I was thinking that a juicy orange color might be a good, vibrant choice. What do you think? I want my room to be energizing but I don't want it to look like a clown's room, haha. Also if I do go for orange walls, should I leave the baseboards and the ceiling white? I donít want to paint different walls different shades of orange because I just think it sounds odd. But, maybe I could have some combo of orange and white walls or orange and another vibrant color?

Finally, can you recommend some colors for my bedroom furnishings? I have a lot of vintage-y feeling pieces from my family (a great tall lamp and this antique couch) so I should go with that. My bed currently has a simple white comforter so I can get any sort of duvet cover and accent pillows that you recommend.

Overall, I just want my room to feel energetic and funky without crossing over into silliness or being too perfectly matched. I'm open to anything you could recommend especially ideas for a college student on a budget.

Thanks a million! Sorry this was so long.

PS: Autumn is my favorite season and I love burnt orange, brown, cherry red, maroon, golden yellows and greens so if you think thereís a way to paint my walls using this color scheme instead of the brighter one I talked about above, I would be open to that. I just donít want my room to feel gloomy.

Hi Ally,
First of all very sorry for this delay. I was stuck in some work and have mininmal access to my computer.

As far as the length of your mail is concerned, its perfectly alright...It give a better knowledge of what you want...

There are two things which can be done:
If you want your room to be a very rich and posh style room then you may go for Maroon walls and white ceiling. Use Black furnitures and continue with your beige carpets. Use focus lights  for your room in yellow color(you would have seen thm in malls and other such places). Hang some paintings on the walls and put some flower pots around.

You said that there is a small window in your room, hang a white curtain there.

Otherwise if you want a youth room then:
for your walls try vertical stripes of Burnt Orange, White, Maroon. Alternate these three colors. This will add a lot of liveliness to your room. use Mahogany wood furnitures, still continue with your Beige Carpet. hang a yellow curtain on that wall. and use bright light.On the wall hang paintings showing Autumn season, it will mingle well with the walls.

An alternative for the wall that I can suggest is Blue. Alternate it with white.

Think about these things. I have kept your age n ur choices in mind and thought about this. However incase you are not satisfied then you may revert back.

Take Care Ally,

Thanks n Regards

Decorating & Furniture

Sarthak Bartaria

Ask me anything that concerns the way you should design the interiors so that that they improve the ambience of your house. I can very well help you out with the ways you should use those furnitures which you thought were useless. Ask me before throwing anything from your house, may be I can help you use it better

I am in this business since past 3 years in Mumbai, India. I have a personal firm where we help people with the interior decorations of their house and offices.

Dimploma in Interior Designing from the National Institute of Designing