Decorating & Furniture/bedroom update

Question
We have a girls bedroom that we are converting into an antique guest bedroom.  The carpet is a rose color and the walls are pink.  The size is large 16' by 20' with a large walk in closet and 1 window (5x4) This is an earth home - window facing the south.  The antique bedroom set is a dark wood.  My question is without changing the carpet what color should I paint the walls and do you think I should put a border up or is that out of style now?

Answer
Kris,

Without changing the carpet, here are a couple of options for you.  Select a paint color that is as close to the carpet color as possible, trim the room in bright white woodwork and rather than adding a border, invest in some beautiful lacy draperies/sheers for the window.  Hang those floor to ceiling to make the window and wall height visually higher.  The other option in wall color would be a shade of green, which would complement the carpet color since green is the color opposite of red.  If you opt for green, try to match the depth of the color to the depth of color in the carpet; i.e., if the carpet is a rich color, use a rich green for the walls; if the carpet is pastel, choose a pastel green.  

If your heart is set on a border, make it a molding rather than wallpaper.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik