Decorating & Furniture/bedroom update

We have a girls bedroom that we are converting into an antique guest bedroom.  The carpet is a rose color and the walls are pink.  The size is large 16' by 20' with a large walk in closet and 1 window (5x4) This is an earth home - window facing the south.  The antique bedroom set is a dark wood.  My question is without changing the carpet what color should I paint the walls and do you think I should put a border up or is that out of style now?

Without changing the carpet, here are a couple of options for you.  Select a paint color that is as close to the carpet color as possible, trim the room in bright white woodwork and rather than adding a border, invest in some beautiful lacy draperies/sheers for the window.  Hang those floor to ceiling to make the window and wall height visually higher.  The other option in wall color would be a shade of green, which would complement the carpet color since green is the color opposite of red.  If you opt for green, try to match the depth of the color to the depth of color in the carpet; i.e., if the carpet is a rich color, use a rich green for the walls; if the carpet is pastel, choose a pastel green.  

If your heart is set on a border, make it a molding rather than wallpaper.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology