Decorating & Furniture/black leather sofa

Hi Ben,
  I'm planning to purchase a black leather sofa and love seat for my living room. And I'm also looking for a coffee table, sofa table, and end tables to match the sofa. I definitely know what I like and dislike, but sometimes what I like doesn't necessarily look good all together. So, this is where I need your help!

Right now, I'm really liking the dark/mahogany look, but I'm not too sure whether it will go with the black leather sofa. I'm afraid it might be too dark. What do you think? What style/color of furniture would you suggest for a black leather sofa?

Here's a link of the sofa and a link of the table set that I like if you want to get an idea:

Thanks in advance, can't wait to hear what you suggest!

Hi Amy,

Thanks for writing.

I LOVE the sofa. The style is very nice and fitted looking and very streamline. Good choice!

I really like the style of the endtable, but it is going to be way too dark next to the black. Instead, go with a rich walnut finish. Even a distresses walnut finish would look great (this is where you can see the nicks and rough spots in the wood that makes it look aged) Look at places like Pottery Barn. Another popular option is rod iorn with a glass top. (Also found at places like Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware) This will give you a more open feel and a little more contemporary.

Good luck and as always I encourage you to send pictures of your completed project to anytime.

Decorating & Furniture

Benjamin Cottrell

I can answer any questions on interior design including color, room arrangment, floor and space planning, lighting, fabric, furniture, and where to buy home decorating products.

Residential design and Architecture as well as landscape design, visual merchandising, and sales.

College graduate