Decorating & Furniture/blinds

I need room darkening shades for the bedrooms in my new home.  Should I choose roller shades, roman shades, aluminum blinds or cellular shades?   Our style is contemporary traditional.  Cost is not primary concern.

Dear Allison Mach,
    I would say it depends on the size of the window. If it a fairly small window then I would definently go with the roman shade and not the roller shade. The roller shades usually don't last very long. Here are some nice options for a roman shade on the bottom page of this link.
If your windows are fairly large I would go with the cellular blinds instead of the aluminum. The aluminum blinds are litte outdated in my opinion. The cellular shades are going to give the room a softer feel and light can pass through it still.

If you would like a consultation please visit

Good Luck,
Rachel Mallon
R:M Design Co.

Decorating & Furniture

Rachel Mallon Allied Member ASID

I will answer any questions concerning interior design and decorating. I can help with color, furniture placement, material choices, and much more. I am more than happy to help people. Please email me with questions and concerns. Decorating may not be as easy as it looks and with a little help from me you can improve your living space. Check out my decorating blog Room in a Book Blog
If you are looking to redo an entire room in your home and want professional design assistance please visit Room in a Book

Experience: I have a bachelors degree in Interior Design. I have worked for West Elm and Kitchen Kaboodle and I recently worked for an Interior Design firm in Portland, OR. I currently work as an Interior Designer in Maui, Hawaii. Room in a Book